Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Autism Awareness Day

.
April 2nd is a big day for us....   it's an important day for us - almost as big as a birthday ....

So I had decided I wanted to make some awareness ribbons ... and before anyone leaves me any comments saying the puzzle pieces are blah blah blah ...  I don't want to hear about it.

I understand that there are people who are passionately against the group Autism Speaks. Because they are looking for a "cure" and people find that offensive. I can understand and I can appreciate your passion. I don't necessarily agree. I'm sorry if THAT offends people. I don't care that they are looking for a cure. I think they are more so looking for WHY this is happening, and why it keeps increasing. As a parent of one, possibly two, kids on the spectrum. I have four kids who have some sort of sensory issues. It would be nice to know why - but I also understand, that the reasons WHY could be vast and many. I don't currently have anything against Autism Speaks. I also wouldn't change my son for the world (who has Autism). He is amazing. We love him so much and are so blessed to have him. But I got cussed out for talking about how parents GRIEVE when they are given the diagnosis. It's not because they don't love their kids, but it's the hopes and dreams that they had for that child that die and new ones replace them - and let me tell you, KIDS WHO HAVE STRUGGLES with medical things, TEACH US SO MUCH MORE than we could EVER TEACH THEM. I support any group, any parent, any organization that wants to bring awareness to Autism because it's important that we get the message out there that these kids are A-FREAKING-MAZING ..... (getting off my soap box now) ....all I am saying is, I respect your opinion, I don't butt in and tell you how wrong you are, so all I ask for is that mine is also respected. I am just trying to raise awareness and educate. Share my children's stories.

I understand that people have certain feelings about certain charities, I respect that, I'm not here to tell you that you are wrong or someone is right.... all I'm saying, is.... It's not a battle I care to fight and I don't need you to turn me so that I am on "your side"  ...  Awareness is awareness in my book.

So I wanted to make ribbons :)

Nathan was jammin out to his videos ...

Our annual April 2nd in Blue picture.  I think next year we're going to do some tye-dye shirts for Color The World for Autism :)






And of course - we need to let our sillys out ...

No comments: