Wednesday, May 30, 2012

After Nathan's Cleft Palate Surgery - Day 2

.
 Sunday .... I thought FOR SURE we'd be going home.... Nathan was feeling a TON better on Sunday.  He was all excited, disconnected from all the leads (monitors) ... I asked if I could get him dressed in his clothes to help perk him up and was told absolutely ....  

Doctor came in and she told me that the goal was to drink 1000 cc's (about 33oz) ...  She said figure, he needs to take about 300 cc's per meal, which is about 10 oz...and a little bit extra.  So she wanted him to have 300cc's prior to lunch time, if not more.... and if he LOOKS like he's going to meet the goal, THEN he can go home.  Pain management was still and issue too.... 


He got up and had about half a pancake, of course - the other half he decided to share with the rest of his body in hopes that he would just ... absorb it through his skin or hair I guess....
 I gave him a sponge bath before getting him dressed....
 Got him dressed and told him we'd go for a walk .... 
 
 This video was taken - there was a "fire alarm" going off - "Code Red" ... it was on the 4th floor somewhere .... (we were on the 3rd).....then I taped Nathan and this is how I spent my day - saying the same thing in ten different ways ever 5 minutes.... 







Mamacita Sunday morning... 
 We went to the gift shop where I told Nathan he could pick out ONE MORE THING but only if he DRANK DRANK DRANK ....  he picked up three....  a glow in the dark wand, a discover wand, and an Angry Bird Balloon .... 
 He was all about the Angry Birds balloon....
Someone happened to get off the on the fourth floor when we were on the elevator (or alligator as we call it) ... and I saw this cute pond mural going on ... so we had to stop and take a picture.... 

Nathan was super active - SUPER active on Sunday - you could tell he was DEFINITELY feeling better.... so we went on a few walks...
We blew bubbles.....
Took a short nap (after he spilled stuff on his bed)
Nathan's name outside the door
More bubbles....
Watched some TV
Took another walk
We were doing whatever we could to make him thirsty and want to drink but nothing seemed to work.  He's lick ice cream a little, he'd nibble popsicles.... didn't have any interest in jello that day or pudding ....  and I let him pick out a soda from the machine on one of our walks.  He chose Root Beer.  We had a drink of every kind available to him and he only drank about 10 oz at 2-3 oclock...  by 6pm he had only drank 15 ounces all day ...  and it finally came down to the question (of us staying or going) ... "Do you think you can get another 16 oz in him tonight"  I told the nurse, Um, NO... considering it's taken me 11 hours to get him to drink 15 ounces and at home he is usually in bed at 7.  No, it wasn't possible.
Mr. Spinner a SPIN A TON was at it again .... 





 
Around 3 o'clock I drew this on the board
 My drawing skills suck, but he got the idea! LOL

around 6 o'clock I noticed that his IV was all but out ... it was only in by a tiny tip.... the rest of the catheter into his vein was out... so she went ahead and pulled it....  he picked out a yellow bandaid....
But ... after I got the news that he wasn't going home, FINALLY, and I had a mini pity party because I was so frustrated, I just wanted an answer....  and I didn't get one until the last minute.  OH ... plus they stuck the social worker on me at about 5 o'clock... because "it sounds like you have a lot going on at home" ... well...... DUH!!  I explained to her how I was frustrated - how it was OBVIOUS that he wasn't going to make the "goal" ... and I didn't understand why they couldn't just commit to an answer ...  so yeah ....  
 
I admit, I cried because I felt like a failure for not getting him to drink, I felt like a failure for not getting home that day .... I felt like I was letting down my family at home ... and I felt like I kept my mom on edge all day of coming and getting us and maybe they didn't get to do what they wanted to .. 
But Nate and I made it a fun night .. and he was asleep by 8 o'clock...

Monkey got a chance to wear the glasses too!!!
He was sweating pretty bad that night ....  you can see it in his hair.  That's an RSS trait.  Night sweats.  He was cuddling his monkey .... 

No comments: